Frequently Asked Questions

Yes. Live vegetation and vegetable gardens are permitted. Code Enforcement does not regulate gardens.

County Code Enforcement does not enforce or restrict lawn watering cycles.

You can plant mulch, or do a xeriscape, or drought-resistant garden using rocks, install landscaping and plants and/or ground covers other than grass.

It is up to the individual's discretion. Code Enforcement does not regulate materials used for landscaping.

Owners of vacant homes are required to maintain landscaping on their property. This means ensuring overgrown, diseased, dead, or decaying trees, weeds, or other vegetation are not:

  • Constituting a fire hazard
  • Creating the potential for the harborage of rats and vermin
  • Overgrown in a public right-of-way by 12 inches
  • Or completely dead and over 12 inches tall covering more than 50% of the front or side yard visible from any street.​s of neighboring properties​
  • ​Substantially detracting from the aesthetic and property value

If a vacant home in your neighborhood has not maintained their landscaping, you can file a complaint with Code Enforcement at Sacramento​ County 311 Connect.